Sunday

Personal | Tough Decision

Could You Say No?

Last week this dog quickly wiggled his way into our hearts.  After owning him for only 6 days, I took him to the vet for his vaccinations and routine checkup. The vet recommended some things to me: how to manage him with our cats, getting him neutered and heartworm prevention. I agreed to put him on the once a month heartowrm preventative. His blood tests came back he was already heartworm positive. I've heard of heartworm, but didn't know much about it. As the doctor explained Duke's situation to me, my heart became heavy and my eyes filled with tears.  The disease is treatable, but very expensive. With Duke's size, we're talking $1200.  I drove back home and passed the original owner. I stopped, with my puffy eyes and all, and explained to him the sad news I received. I could tell he was also devastated.  We talked options for a bit and I went on my way. My husband and I discussed this to great lengths. Our options were to give Duke back to the owner, who also could not afford treatment, or find a way to pay for his healthcare and have him treated. We were torn. For me, I wanted to keep him for my own emotional reasons and not wanting to break our children's hearts. Logically and financially it made sense to wash our hands and hope the owner would give him to the Weimaraner Rescue, who would treat him and adopt him out once healthy. We're talking $1200 for a dog, a dog! In the end, we couldn't turn our back on him. The joy he's gave us in six short days proved he's a special dog  and he really needs our help. The best part? My non-dog loving husband gave the big push to keep him :)

3 comments:

Emily Griffith said...

You made the absolute right decision! 6 days....could have been 6 years for all it mattered! He was a family member from the moment he came through the door!!!! Thanks for the story because it reminds us to give our doggies their heartworm meds! Duke is a beautiful dog and so excited for you guys! Can't wait to meet him.

Laurie Monroe said...

I stumbled upon your blog and became inspired! You're kindness is rare these days! I wish your family and Duke many happy memories after he's healthy!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog. You and your family have big hearts to take in such a special dog,now a precious family menber. As another dog owner they grow on you in so many ways and they love you back unconditionaly.